Skip to main content

Week 1 About My Journey in Art


My Earliest Art Motive

When I was about three or four years old, I liked to cut out pictures on various packaging cartons, such as pandas on my father's cigarette box and flowers on my mother's cosmetic box. I didn't realize that this was my hobby at that time. I just saw beautiful things and wanted to keep them, have them, and enjoy them repeatedly. It's like someone can't help taking pictures when they see the beautiful scenery. I put all the cut pieces on the head of my bed so that I could watch them sleep. 

Here is the look of Panda cigarette box. imgres



My Earliest Handmade Work

Interestingly, It also related to the Panda cigarette box. When I was four years old, I happened to see my grandmother mending grandpa's trouser legs in front of the sewing machine. I was curious and wanted to try it immediately. However, I was too young at that time, so my grandmother taught me how to thread through pinholes and basic sewing instead of letting me try the sew machine. When I got home, I practiced it immediately: I took off the golden silk cloth in my father's panda cigarette box and sewed a handbag.
Well, now it seems that my creation at that time was really rough, like today's environmentally friendly shopping bags.

Primary School Mid School and High School Times
Art is from life and culture, and it is for people to love.
Creation part

Children in primary school love play more than study math. The way I play was making handicrafts with friends. At that time, I was full with new ideas of waste utilization and tools bought in handicraft stores. I made paper crafts such as three dimensional detachable bookmarks, a self-made book with my collected stickers and poems, and also made decorations, such as bracelets made of plastic rope rubber bands and bag pendants. I sent my creations out to friends and teachers, it was pity that I didn't take pictures.


Well, here is example of a self-made book. I choose it since it is for my favorite animation called Mononoke. It is in Japanese Faust painting style. 
https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1tz4y167Kn?p=1&share_medium=iphone&share_plat=ios&share_session_id=339993B0-0D53-4278-A816-11C0B9475B3B&share_source=WEIXIN&share_tag=s_i&timestamp=1631675463&unique_k=MVNo9T

Bracelets made of red and white plastic ropes.


The medium is the message. ----- Marshall McLuhan

When I went to mid school, I started to really realize that I only know a corner of the iceberg. The world of art is farther wide than I think. In addition to my first knowledge of art.  There are various art formats of 3D production, photography and digital. These can also be extended to modeling, animation, movies, games, creative programming. Besides, there are many areas of refinement, such as static and dynamic image processing, video processing and visual effects, architecture and horticulture. Art is a medium to spread people's creativity and but not only a way to have fun. Arts are everywhere in life, such as the beauty camera everyone is using. 


Learning Part

I learned Sketch and cartoon painting. In addition, I expanded my hobby of paper cutting. I used to cut beautiful things down, but now I create them by myself with a carving knife. I learned the art of folk paper cutting, when I traveled in Zigong in China.
 
 These red paper-cuts resemble the year of horse. You can look it as Christmas tree because people will put them around house during new year.

Influence Part
I'm lucky that my mother support me a lot mentally and physically. She encouraged and influenced me to have more acceptability to all kind of art. One example, with her, I went to many traditional Chinese painting exhibitions and also collected some painting collections. I found that I especially admire a traditional Chinese painting painter Wu Yifeng. He is a modern Chinese calligrapher, painter of traditional Chinese painting. Most of his painting are about landscapes in Sichuan, the province in lived in. I guess that's why I was impressed. I like the paintings not only because it is beautiful, but also because I love the place I live. 
 




Besides my mother, I also influenced by a picture book painter called Jimi. His picture book is romantic and I can feel it shows his internal world. I had all his books at my home in China.







Comments

  1. We have the same hobby when we were 3 or 4 years old. And it's so nice to see that this little hobby becomes your major and big interests!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Global Village‘s Backside.

The Video The Instagram did hid the ad about Blurb from me. However, this is enough to prove that instagram and blurb share the data of consumers and users on both sides. As it literally meaning, it's hidden, it's gone on my ins, but that doesn't mean the leakage of my personal privacy has stopped. I always see the advertisements when shopping or searching on other websites. This reminds me of a word: big data. Big data can push you a lot of the same or similar things according to the keywords you search and read. Some apps even share data, so that you can see conditioner ads on other websites after you buy shampoo on one website. With the global popularity of the network, the network eliminates the time and space between people all over the world. Facebook, Messenger, instagram, zoom, wechat, all kings of emails... Even if you need to contact Party A on the other side of the world, you can still communicate quickly and conveniently through the network. Because of this conv

Jingquan's Flicker posts

Guess what's on the right.                  The environment as a processor of information is propaganda (McLuhan, 142). Nowadays the medias only want to show the information they can make profit with. Most of them are personal showing off, or are including commercial or political purpose. Some even has strong personal perspective, and the bad thing is one people can be none bias when expressing their social values. If we only observe information provide by others but not thinking. We will lose our own point of view. So, it is important to keep awake, thinking if the information is propaganda or not.             For my work, I took about 500 photos. Then I found my topic: the natural and humanistic art embellishment of my life. I formed my own point of view after obervating on campus, along the street in downtown, in the woods by the river, and in the community nearby. You can have your own understanding after looking at these photos. I won't speak my views that might mislead

IMAGE & INTENTION: A MESSAGE WITHOUT A CODE

   I selected this photo when I was organizing my photos. It doesn't have textual message. SO,  it is doubtless necessary to go back to partially illiterate societies, to a sort of pictographic state of the image. Image Illustration: ➡️ Symbolic message: an old garden. (A lot of plants in pots, wild cats, and concrete ground). An old garden with mice. ➡️ Connoted message: The garden was highly possibile built in the 1950s, and it is located in an area most likely in southern China. The manager of the garden was most likely elderly. The largest plant, it is called sago palm whose academic name is Cycas Revoluta . It is wildly planted in southern China, or in southern Japan, the Philippines and Indonesia.  Sago palm's HISTORY BACKGROUND : During China's economic difficulties (1958-1962), when there was a famine in many places, farmers in the area where the sorrel originated dug up the roots of the tree to remove the toxic ingredients and then made starch for consumption . T