Skip to main content

“健康”(Health)

First of all, this work is not for public. It has personal meaning: vent the love that I can't bear. I had a video. It was the first time I did such a big work, I was not familiar with the tools, and the wind blew the camera down when shooting.

https://youtu.be/0dzgx0oCNM0

Here are the reasons for my material selection and design.

I have always had a pressure from my mother's "love". Due to the epidemic, I haven't returned home for about two years, so my mother is very concerned about my health. She sends Chinese medicine almost every few months, And repeat in every conversation: "did you take the medicine? 15g in the morning, every day... (omitted). " 

I believe those who know something about traditional Chinese medicine know that it is divided into disease treatment and health preservation, and the consumption method of traditional Chinese medicine is to drink. Boil the herbs in water, and then drink very bitter potions. Due to international express delivery, all the herbs have been powdered. What my mother sent is the powder of traditional Chinese medicine for health preservation. 

How do you think of health products? It's medicine in my eyes. I don't take medicine if I am ill. If I were asked to take health care products such as vitamin tablets or cod liver oil every day, it would be difficult for me to stick to it, let alone bitter and troublesome traditional Chinese medicine. 

My answer to my mother was:" I didn't forget, I ate it ". But , the truth is that I didn't eat it at all. As time pasted, she had sent me a big bag of traditional Chinese medicine. Every time I saw that big bag, I had a headache. I thought of her every time she worked hard to inquire about what medicine can improve immunity, then went to the traditional Chinese medicine store to buy it, powdered it at the professional food processing point, and then went to the post office to send international express. I didn't want to eat it, and I wasn't willing to throw it away. So The bag is getting fuller and heavier in my heart. I will think that when I chat with her next time, I will pretend to eat it and deceive her. 


You might ask: "why don't you just tell your mother you don't need or won't eat." I mentioned to her about 5 times that I don't need these traditional Chinese medicines for many reasons, such as bitter and inconvenient to eat. She said: "I am worried that you would get sick. This is the only thing I can do for you on the other side of the ocean." 

She wishes me to be healthy. Health, who doesn't like it, but I don't know why mother thinks health is to eat health products. And health itself is one's own business. If I want to be healthy, I can have breakfast, go to bed early and get up early every day. But now, for her understanding of health, I even got up in the middle of the night to cook medicine and drink, because she suddenly asked me whether I took medicine at noon in China. I took pictures of myself drinking medicine to reassure her. 

She said she was relieved. However, I still have no place to vent my pressure. Every time I receive mom's express, I feel happy and painful. Every chat will mention traditional Chinese medicine. The cause of every quarrel is traditional Chinese medicine. Every time I see that bag of "medicine worried about your health", I will be upset.

Therefore, when thinking about a meaningful work of more than 10 feet, my first reaction is that there is just a large bag of materials that contains my emotions, are absolutely enough, and won't damage the environment, which is very suitable for outdoor creation in this snow everywhere. I want to use it to write Chinese "health" on the snow. White soft snow and yellowish brown traditional Chinese medicine powder will be very conspicuous.


As you can see, this is a 2D rectangular work, about 3 meters long and 1.5 meters wide. The material is the traditional Chinese medicine I don't want to eat sent by my mother. I spent nearly four hours in the snow with a somatosensory temperature of - 23 degrees Celsius. The tool uses two 1.5m soft rulers, a 1m long shoe lifter (with a certain range, I can put the powder in it to write. I stuck a small funnel made of waste paper and stapler on my tail), and a large bottle of hot water. I used hot water to warm my hands. Unexpectedly, the wind was too strong. The powder just poured on the snow was blown away. The solution I came up with was to mix hot water and powder as ink. Finally, I succeeded. This is the finished product.

Now I feel more and more that it is not easy for artists to find materials in the natural environment and complete a big work. Because the environment may be bad, luck may be bad, and failure may occur. But none of them will give up.


3D week1 project

Jan 9 2022

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Global Village‘s Backside.

The Video The Instagram did hid the ad about Blurb from me. However, this is enough to prove that instagram and blurb share the data of consumers and users on both sides. As it literally meaning, it's hidden, it's gone on my ins, but that doesn't mean the leakage of my personal privacy has stopped. I always see the advertisements when shopping or searching on other websites. This reminds me of a word: big data. Big data can push you a lot of the same or similar things according to the keywords you search and read. Some apps even share data, so that you can see conditioner ads on other websites after you buy shampoo on one website. With the global popularity of the network, the network eliminates the time and space between people all over the world. Facebook, Messenger, instagram, zoom, wechat, all kings of emails... Even if you need to contact Party A on the other side of the world, you can still communicate quickly and conveniently through the network. Because of this conv

Jingquan's Flicker posts

Guess what's on the right.                  The environment as a processor of information is propaganda (McLuhan, 142). Nowadays the medias only want to show the information they can make profit with. Most of them are personal showing off, or are including commercial or political purpose. Some even has strong personal perspective, and the bad thing is one people can be none bias when expressing their social values. If we only observe information provide by others but not thinking. We will lose our own point of view. So, it is important to keep awake, thinking if the information is propaganda or not.             For my work, I took about 500 photos. Then I found my topic: the natural and humanistic art embellishment of my life. I formed my own point of view after obervating on campus, along the street in downtown, in the woods by the river, and in the community nearby. You can have your own understanding after looking at these photos. I won't speak my views that might mislead

IMAGE & INTENTION: A MESSAGE WITHOUT A CODE

   I selected this photo when I was organizing my photos. It doesn't have textual message. SO,  it is doubtless necessary to go back to partially illiterate societies, to a sort of pictographic state of the image. Image Illustration: ➡️ Symbolic message: an old garden. (A lot of plants in pots, wild cats, and concrete ground). An old garden with mice. ➡️ Connoted message: The garden was highly possibile built in the 1950s, and it is located in an area most likely in southern China. The manager of the garden was most likely elderly. The largest plant, it is called sago palm whose academic name is Cycas Revoluta . It is wildly planted in southern China, or in southern Japan, the Philippines and Indonesia.  Sago palm's HISTORY BACKGROUND : During China's economic difficulties (1958-1962), when there was a famine in many places, farmers in the area where the sorrel originated dug up the roots of the tree to remove the toxic ingredients and then made starch for consumption . T